Thursday, November 24, 2011

More Blessed Than I Deserve

A couple of months ago I was watching a sermon series on prayer. The speaker was pointing out that we always pray for God to bless us when we already possess so many blessings. He spoke about a woman at a fast-food restaurant who always responds to the question "how are you doing today?" with "I'm blessed". I adopted this policy for myself and have been astounded at the results. I'll admit that if someone had given me such a response just a few months ago I would have meet them with sarcasm and eye rolls, but I'm beginning to see that it is the only acceptable answer.

Nine out of ten people you say this to will feel the way I used to. They will think it is contrived, and I don't blame them because I used to be cynical too. But that one person out of the ten will respond with "why do you say that?" And that gives me the most amazing chance to minister. I tell them how blessed I am that I woke up in America, in a bed, and that I have clean water. That automatically makes us incredibly fortunate. I get to tell them that I have a job and am able to attend school, which is a luxury for many women around the world. And then I get to tell them the biggest reason that I know I am blessed. I serve a God who loves me so much that He sent His son to die for me and who longs to speak to me.

Since I began giving this response, I have had the opportunity to witness to co-workers, friends, servers, and even the people working checkouts. I will never be someone who is comfortable with walking up to someone and asking if they knew for a fact that they would go to heaven, but telling people how blessed we are has become my personal evangelistic tool.

So, on this Thanksgiving day, I encourage you to take the challenge and begin to acknowledge your blessings everyday and use it as your testimony. Take stock of what you have and stop asking God for blessings (He has already given you all that you need) and instead use your life and every word to Bless God.

3 comments:

  1. I am blessed- what a great Idea. I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a good idea, too. The series was by Louie Giglio. I love his teaching, he is so easy to understand. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that idea too! I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete