Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Want To Do Small Things For God

Over the years I have heard many testimonies given by people who feel God doing a work in their life. They will speak about how God is moving in them and how they are going to be obedient to what He has for them to do. Many of these testimonies at some point involve the words "I want to do BIG things for God." Now, I'm not discrediting the sentiment of wanting to tell as many people about Him as possible, but I want to bring attention to the motives of the speaker. When they envision this concept of ministry do they picture arenas filled with people waiting to hear them preach or do they picture a life of servant hood? It's easy to be obedient to God's word if you believe it will make you well-known, famous, and wealthy, it's harder to be obedient when you know it requires taking up your towel and serving those who are in need.

I have often heard ministers talk about their travels in ministry and by the time they have finished giving the Citizen Kane version of their life story they have given an account filled with "I's" and "me's". They start off talking about doing "big things for God" and then it spirals into "I preached to thousands...I went on 50 mission trips...I laid hands on people and they were healed" and by the time they are done the only big thing about their story is their ego.

The truth is that people who are hungry are not impressed by how many trips overseas you have taken. People whose homes are broken don't care how many stadiums you have filled. Parents whose children are away from God don't care how many thousands you have preached to. It is in the small, mundane details that people are touched. I want to do small things for God that make a lasting impact on the recipient. I want to be the person who shows kindness to people who are in distress. I want to offer support for the ones who have lost their way. I want to offer love to those who have been abandoned. I want to do small things for God.

2 comments:

  1. I believe it was Mother Theresa that said we should do small things with great love. I enjoyed what you had to say and agree.

    ReplyDelete