Sunday, December 4, 2011

When did God's house become a coffee house?

I work full-time and go to school, so in the recent year coffee has become my friend. As I have visited my favorite shop I have noticed a few things. When I look around at the people who patronize this shop I find that some come to be re-energized, some come because it makes them feel special (because anyone holding a $5 cup of coffee must be important), and some come because it is a place to meet with friends and relax. This particular chain is special because they emphasize customer service through specialization and building relationships. Employees strive to know repeat customer's names and drink preferences. The reason they focus on customer service is simple. They know that we know that if we don't like the service we get, we can go half a mile down the road and find another store within the same company. If we are really disatisfied we can go across the street and start a relationship with a new chain altogether. My shop better know exactly how much foam I want in my macchiato or I'm taking my ball and going home.

This is Sunday morning and churches all over America will be serving coffee before church. I know it seems like I'm about to rant about this practice, but just hear me out. I have had this nagging feeling in my stomach for at least 2 months about the connection I see between church and the coffee house. Are you attending church for the same reason people frequent my coffee house? Do you attend because after a week in which you made no effort to see God on your own you need a boost or re-energizing from the pastor? Do you attend church to make yourself feel important  (because you must be important if you go to the church with the best lights and sound and the highest steeple)? Or do you attend because it is a place to catch up with friends? Of course there is nothing wrong with fellowship, but the problem with turning church into a social club is that it's only good for the people important enough to be a member. How many people are living dreadful empty lives while we "hangout" at church and sip our coffee and discuss our "good church people problems"?

And now the biggest similarity that no one wants to admit. Most people who attend church know that if they become unhappy they can go a mile down the road to another, and in some cases just as with the coffee shop, they can find a church in the same denomination that will cater to their needs. "I left that coffee house because they didn't give me the right amount of foam" translates into "I left that church because they didn't play the new music that I like". We make threats that if things don't go our way or if we don't get the attention we think we deserve we will go elsewhere.

Jesus sacrificed His life for so much more than what we have made the church. God forgive us for turning our churches into social clubs for the elite to meet in. Forgive us for our attitude that says that if we aren't catered to then we will go church to church until we find the one that satisfies our every want. Help us to see what You intend the church to be, and give us the grace to become that church. 

6 comments:

  1. That's a great observation! You know, coffee shops are a place for conversation or to plug your ear phones in and blast your brain with some form of media or catching up on the latest news, or, if you're really good, all three at once.

    So one immediate parallel that can be made is the what the Word of God is in contrast with what a conversation is. The serpent came to Eve (and her husband who was there with her) in the name of a conversation, simply challenging as he said, "Did God really say...?" The word of God is active and powerful discerning the very thoughts and intentions of the heart, it's not something to be trifled with or conversed over in that way.

    There's nothing inherently wrong with serving a cup of joe, nor anything else for that matter that's legal, in the house of God but one engineer turned preacher put it this way: "I don't mind a good magician and I love a good sermon, but I'd rather keep the conjuring and the preaching separate."

    I like a good frapacino as much as the next guy, even while I'm enjoying, being encouraged, and being transformed by the life changing word of God through preaching. But, on the other hand, I won't last five minutes at a place where the coffee is thicker than the Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the phrase"where the coffee is thicker than the Word"! As with anything else, it all comes back to intention. Churches in today's society like to focus on relational ministry, which I'm not bashing, but we need to be mindful of the hell people are living through. When I hear of churches who would rather teach classes on crafts and cooking than on the Word of God, my heart breaks. Churches spend their money on aesthetics like extravagant lighting and furniture to make it more comfortable and I can't help but wonder how it must make a visitor who can't feed or clothe their children feel. Lord, forgive us for what we've done.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church in latter days was the "center" of the town. It brought people together and they worshipped together. But, also, it can be seen as a family. And, families at the end of the day gather around the dining room table and discuss the day. Of course, today's families are falling apart, that is another issue.

    A mentor of mine said that when you greet a visitor and shake his hand, you get a physical connection with him. Coffee shops are the same way. "IF" a coffee shop will succeed, it will make a physical connection with that customer and he will come back. It is a courtesy that is overlooked sometimes; and if you are a "man of color" it is really overlooked (sorry, got carried away). Churches make a physical connection and people "come into" the church family. And, when people leave a church, they leave a big hole. That is why it not a simple action to leave a church. It should be done with prayer, because "family" is truly involved and it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree church should be family. Unfortunately, we live in a day in which family doesn't mean what it once did. Church should be a place where everyone is welcomed with open arms, knowing that they can always come home again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY well said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my Lindsey.you are right on the button. to many of us old timers feel so left out. because of sin. GOD church is those who believe in him.JESUS is for our salvation,and our healings. oh GOD forgive me for being so blinded by satan and my own way, I will ask GOD for forgiveness. and do whatever GOD tells me to do and wherever he leads me I will follow. whoever would think that GOD would use my sweet neice to tell it like it is. LINDSEY whatever GOD gives you to say YOU do.it. love you Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete