Thursday, March 22, 2012

Baggage



While recently re-reading the story of King Saul found in I Samuel a word jumped off the pages at me that I had not noticed in the story before: “baggage”.  This word changed my entire interpretation of this story. In case you don't know the story I'll give you a brief recap of what happened before Saul became king. Judges had ruled Israel up until Samuel grew old. The people of Israel demanded a king and the Lord told Samuel that the king was to be a man named Saul. When Samuel said to Saul "I am here to tell you that you and your family are the focus of all Israel's hopes", Saul responded "But I'm only from Benjamin, the smallest tribe in Israel, and my family is the least important of all the families of that tribe!" (I Samuel 9:20-21). The Lord even sent signs to Saul to let him know that this was God's will, and his heart accepted that it was the will of God. So now you are caught up, we can get on to the baggage. 

Samuel gathers all of Israel together to present Saul as their king. The people began asking the Lord where Saul was and "the Lord replied, 'He is hiding among the baggage'." (I Samuel 10:22) And this is where my heart started pounding and I had to stop and read that verse over and over again. I know that this passage is referring to literally baggage, but it made me stop and think how many anointed men and women of God are hiding in baggage afraid to step up to what God has for them because they feel inferior. 

I can't help but think about young men and women I see who have a clear anointing on their lives but feel undeserving because of the baggage they carry. Saul pointed out that he was from an unimportant family in a society where your ancestral line meant everything. How many times have I heard young people tell me they come from homes that are broken and dysfunctional? They get scared of the call God has placed on them and use their baggage as a hiding place. They say, "I come from a background of abandonment, abuse, or addiction. I can't do anything right." But I'm here to tell you that when God's power takes hold of your life there is nothing you can't do through Him. When you use the baggage of your past to hide, you can never find the will of the Lord for your life. You will never find peace. You will never find true joy. 

Saul's baggage led to a feeling of inferiority and that led him to disobedience to the Lord. (I Samuel 15:1-22) This disobedience resulted in the Spirit of Lord leaving Saul. (I Samuel 16:14;) This led to depression, jealousy, anger, paranoia, and even attempted murder. (I Samuel 16:14; 18:9,15; 20:30; 18:17) And it all started because he hid in his baggage. 

So here is the point: When God calls you, He doesn't care about your past. He put you in the home, town, and family He did for a reason. Remember Romans 8:28 "We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them." Your past is nothing to hide in or from. Wherever and whatever you have come from does not have the right to stop you from fulfilling the destiny and call God has placed in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment