Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Case for Organized Religion

Last week I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth removed. In the days that followed I didn't feel like doing much but lying in bed, which meant I spent much more time watching television than I usually have time for. I came across a program on which two celebrities were discussing spirituality. They began to discuss how young people in today's culture avoid spiritual conversations because they hate organized religion. 

The very next day I read a report in USA Today about how 1 in 5 Americans no longer have a religious affiliation. The report said that partially to blame was the distaste for organized religion among young people. 

As I sat thinking about these things, and thinking about how I feel about organized religion, my eyes were drawn to a small postcard on my desk. It was from my pastor and his wife, Windell and Myrna Moore, letting me know that they were thinking of me following my procedure. This card matches the one that was given to me and my boyfriend after our first visit, telling us how special their day was made by us being there. And I realized, that this "organized religion" young people love to hate, is meant to be exactly what they need. 

Everyone, but the young especially, are looking to belong. They are looking for a family. Every time I go to my church, I am greeted by hugs and pats on the back and hand shakes. We are invited to participate as we would like, but never forced. We carry each others' burdens, and rejoice with one another in the good times. I realize that not everyone who has been exposed to church has gotten this treatment, but why haven't they? For the cost of a postcard, a stamp, and a few minutes to write, I was made to feel a part of something. 

This weekend I will be traveling to Louisville, KY for my church's General Assembly, a time when delegates from around the world gather together and worship. I will be surrounded by thousands, many of whom can't even speak my language, but we will treat each other like family. How blessed I am to be a part of such an organization. THIS is the type of organized religion I want the world to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment