Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Next Chapter

Nearly a year and a half ago I shared news with my readers that Andy and I were going to take a youth pastorate near Nashville in a blog entitled "The Field". In that time I learned more than I could begin to share, but I want to name just a few things.

We learned what it is to really "work" in a church. Our lives began to revolve around the mission set before us. This not only meant showing up whenever the doors were opened, it meant painting the sanctuary when I was 4 months pregnant (fume-free, no worries), attempting to play frisbee with neighborhood kids when I could barely twist, and knocking on doors in our less than "desirable" neighborhood. I know that most people don't like going door to door because of the awkward factor, but when there could very likely be a drug dealer, child molester, or a woman being beaten on the other side, it adds a whole new element of nerves.

We learned about real outreach. I don't mean "let's have one event a year to feel better about ourselves." I mean the kids weren't coming in, so we went to them. I mean your carpets are gonna get filthy and there is a real possibility that a window will be broken when "those" kids come in.

We learned about flexibility. We found that in a small church, you do what has to be done. It doesn't matter what your "calling" necessarily is, you fill in the gaps however you can.

And now I am learning about the simultaneous joy and heartbreak of following God's Voice...

For some time now, my mind has been on the youth group at the church Andy and I attended when we were engaged. While there I held no titles, but we helped when and where we could. Had the Lord not led us to Nashville, we wouldn't have left that church. I knew they had been without a youth leader for a while and I wondered what would happen in that community in which there is so much potential. I didn't know it yet, but Andy was feeling a call to return as well.

In November, I ran into the pastor of my former church and asked him if they youth had a leader yet. He told me that they were currently searching and asked me to keep my ears open for anyone desiring the position.

As he began to talk about the church's feelings and what their plan was regarding youth, my heart began to beat wildly as I realized this was where I needed to be.

Several other things occurred in this time that felt as though they were major confirmations that the next chapter in my ministry was ready to begin.

I spoke with my pastor and mentor and let him know how I felt. He encouraged me to do what God was calling me to do and released me to apply for the position.

When I told my former pastor of my desire to return and work with the youth, he told me that I had been in his mind for the position, and we both felt even more that this was a "God thing".

Last week the administrative committee of the church voted and approved me for the position.

It is with great joy that I announce that I will begin as the youth pastor of the Gallatin, TN Church of God of Prophecy effective February 1st.

While we are over the moon about his appointment and the contentment of knowing we are going where God has called us, there is that heartbreak I mentioned above.

I have and will cherish every moment I spent at Old Hickory Fellowship. It was here that I learned an important principle: sometimes you follow God expecting to do good works, but in the end you realize He was doing a good work in you. I believe whole heartedly that the last year and a half were meant to prepare me for my future in ministry. We went into it knowing it would not be a long-term situation, but that God was using it for a purpose.

Last Wednesday, as we walked into a room full of screaming middle school boys arguing over who liked us the most, my heart hurt thinking that I wouldn't see them each week. As strange as it sounds, I started to realize how much I would miss breaking up their fist fights, being eaten alive by mosquitoes as they played football, and hearing their interesting interpretations of the Scriptures which they sometimes confused with movies.

I'm sure that any minister who has moved from one church to another knows this pain. I am certain we are doing the right thing, but I will miss those rowdy kids none the less.

I want to thank Pastors Jeff and Kimmy Jones for all they have meant to Andy, Kai, and myself. They are our family now and forever. Their zeal for the lost has made an eternal impact on my life and I look forward to continuing to work with them on other projects in the future.

Thank you to everyone who covers me in prayer as I continue to navigate the waters of God's calling on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment