Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Have You Prayed for a Kardashian Today?

The news lately has been dominated by a family that seems to have a knack for becoming a water cooler discussion piece. The stars of several reality programs are a blended family, each member with varying degrees of fame.

The most famous member without a doubt is Kim (the thrice married wife of Kanye West and mother to North West) who first gained infamy as the star of a sex tape. She used that tape to catapult herself into the public eye, becoming an entrepreneur and one of the most prolific users of social media. She literally makes tens of thousands of dollars for mentioning a product on twitter. This girl knows how to get attention and use it for her advantage.

Kim's biological father, Robert Kardashian, a member of O.J. Simpson's famed "dream team" who died many years ago following a fight with throat cancer.

Kim's mom is Kris is one of the most famous "momagers" of all time, getting her kids all the exposure they want (and then some) and then taking her 10%.

Kim's older sister is named Kourtney. She has had three children with her boyfriend who has openly struggled with substance abuse.

Kim's next sister is Khloe who was married to an NBA star until the marriage dissolved amidst rumors of drug use and infidelity on his part.

Kim's brother Rob has seemingly isolated himself from his family as he has been constantly criticized by his family over his appearance.

Kim's two youngest sisters, Kendall and Kylie, are both trying to find their way in the modeling world, frequently posing in revealing and provocative clothing and poses.

And Kim's stepdad is the reason for this post.

Bruce Jenner is hailed as one of the most famous Olympians in US history. He used his gold medal turn to become a sex symbol and actor.

Over the past few months bloggers and tabloids began noticing changes in his appearance, some seemed benign, but slowly they became more jarring. He grew his hair and started painting his nails. Then it appeared as if his Adam's apple disappeared. Recent photos show what looks like female breast tissue forming beneath his shirt. With each day we hear more and more comments from his family that seem to spell out an inevitability- Bruce will likely soon announce that he is "transitioning" to physically become a woman.

I've noticed much discussion on this matter. I've talked about it as I'm sure most who have heard about this have. But there is one thing I haven't done. I haven't prayed.

Let me say, unequivocally, that if he really is doing what it appears he is doing, it is wrong. There is no part of me that can support such a decision. Deciding that God made a mistake when He assigned your gender and then changing that gender on your own is a mockery of the sovereignty of God.

But just as equally as this is sin, it is also sad. I can't imagine the battle that goes on in the mind of men and women who genuinely believe they are "in the wrong body". I can't imagine the daily torment and feelings of loneliness...

Actually, I can.

I have never questioned my God-given identity. I have never felt a disconnect between my gender and my thoughts. But, I know what it is to live every day as a lost soul until God changed me. Jesus did not offer a slow "transition", he offered an instant "transformation".

I'm often labeled as a "hateful" or "not compassionate" because of my hard stance on sin. The truth is, I hate sin. I hate sin for the pain it heaped on my life, I hate sin for the strain it has put on the relationships around me, and I even hate sin for what it is doing in the life of Bruce Jenner and his family.

Am I angry at the recent acceptance of LGBTQ lifestyles in our country? Yes. Am I angry at the individuals catapulting themselves into our public consciousness with their personal stories of how they were born in a skin not reflective of their feelings? No. I don't hate them. I hurt for them. I hurt for them because what they need will not be found in a new body or a new relationship, it will only be found at the feet of the Savior who gave His life for them. Yes, for them too. Romans 5:5-8 tells us

"hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

So why am I so concerned about praying for the Kardashians, people many have labeled as the downfall of our society?

For one, because Jesus died for each of them. I assume they have heard this at some point, because they actually have a "family pastor", even though their lives have not reflected a biblical lifestyle. God loves them just as surely as He loved me in my sin. It is not too late for them, and we shouldn't act as if it is.

For another, Kim Kardashian alone as almost 30 million twitter followers. For good or bad, the girl has influence. Imagine the impact they could have on the world if they gave their troubles to Jesus. How many young people could be reached with the Gospel if we watched a family on the brink of destruction turn it all around with the help of their heavenly Father.

So I ask you, when you hear stories about Bruce, take a moment to pray for him and the others like him who are lost and don't know where their help comes from.


P.S. I began writing this last week but didn't feel ready to publish it.Since then, Bruce was involved in a car accident that took the life of another driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment