Monday, January 9, 2012

God Doesn't Need My Fingerprints

Have you ever found yourself in a war that you seemingly can't win?  I have found myself in a situation in which there is no easy way out.  I feel attacked and as hard as I have fought back, the end never comes.  I have gone through every channel I know to resolve the issue, responded in every way I know how, and have even prayed; and still I suffer.  This past week I began truly seeking God for the first time in this manner.  I prayed and fasted, and prayed some more and in my prayer time this morning, He made it clear to me that I have been praying the wrong way this entire time.


As I prayed, He kept bringing to my mind Psalm 121:

1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills,
from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the LORD,
which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved:
he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel
shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD is thy keeper:
the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day,
nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil:
he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in
from this time forth, and even for evermore.


This entire time I had been praying for God to help me win this battle, but this time He wants to fight for me, not along with me.  The truth is that if He had allowed resolution to come based on any of the attempts I made, then I would have taken glory for it.  God doesn't need my fingerprints all over His victory.

I realize now that there is nothing I can do that is stronger than what He can.  All the thoughts in my head of the way I want to see this war end are nothing compared to what He can do, for He is sovereign, and I am not.  As much as we like to fantasize about what we will say, and the plans we can make to trap someone, and how much we will feel vindicated in the end, it is impossible to escape a battle without scars. I can now see that any of the scenarios that played out in my mind (even if I would have won) would have left me scarred, it is only if I stay out of it, keep my mouth shut, and let Him do ALL the fighting for me that I can come out of this strong and unharmed.

I have handed this situation over entirely to God. I'm done talking about it. I'm done plotting about it. It belongs to Him.  I'm going to keep doing my best to follow Him and do what I know is right, and He will preserve me.  I am going to get out of His way and stop demanding that I put my fingerprints on His victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment