Saturday, January 14, 2012

Teenagers Terrify Me

This is an extremely transparent blog entry. I am asking that you not begin reading it unless you have time to read it in its entirety because if you don't read the whole thing you will likely become offended and not understand my point. This is your only warning...

You still there? Good. Let's roll.

Youth ministry terrifies me. The idea of dealing with teenagers has always been a source of great anxiety for me. I'm assuming it is because my teenage years were not very pleasant. Being picked on in middle and high schools shows you the ugly side of young people and I never wanted to work with young people because I assumed most of them were like the bullies I dealt with on a daily basis. That said, over my teen years and now in my twenties I have helped out with my share of youth camps, retreats, and lock-ins simply because I was asked to. I showed up, did as I was told, talked to kids, and said a halfway prayer with them because I figured youth ministers just needed a warm body or an extra adult to add on the insurance paperwork and I figured I could be useful for that. It's not that I didn't love them or care for their well being or that God hasn't blessed interactions I had with them, but my heart wasn't there.

Within the last year, God has turned my heart towards young people. I began actually listening when they talked and looking them in the eye when they came to me for help and I saw that I was wrong about them. In fact, judging by comments I hear, most people in churches are wrong about them. We call them lazy and say they have no direction, we claim they aren't committed to anything including the church, and complain that they are broken. Here are some facts I want you to consider before you label these kids:

1. They are not lazy and without direction, they simply have not been taught to think for themselves. From the time these kids are 5 their parents decide that they will be a baseball star or a dancer or a heart surgeon and they are placed on a track to make those dreams come true. We decide what they will become and push them to that end. By the time they are adults, they have no idea what they want because they have never had to think about what they want. Is it really their fault that they have no direction on their own if they have never been asked what they want?

2. They often haven't had good examples about what commitment in general means, let alone commitment to a church. As stated previously, parents dictate when they are young what their priorities are to be. How many parents pull their kids from Wednesday night service for ball practice and then it turns into "they are too tired from Saturday nights game/play/show/concert to attend Sunday morning"? Every time these excuses are made, we are teaching our children that God does not have priority over our dreams. So how can they be expected to be committed to church when they spent their childhood being pulled out for one reason or another?

3. They are broken. I won't argue with that one. They are a generation that was raised in homes that were broken in more than one way. Many were raised in more than one home, with more than one family. Maybe they were abandoned by one or both parents at a young age and now have no concept of an adult who sticks around when times are tough. Maybe they were raised by a homosexual mother or father and are confused when discussing the necessity for male and female influence in their life. In the lives of more and more young people we find kids who were raised by parents who cared more about being their friend than being a stable adult. Parents want them to be their confidants and they run to them for solutions to their problems instead of allowing it to be the way God intended and be there for their kids instead of burdening them constantly. We have a generation of kids who raised parents instead of parents who raised kids. They are brought up in a world that tells them it's okay to get drunk as long as you don't drive and it's okay to have sex as long as you put a thin piece of latex between you and it's okay to live however you want as long as you are happy in this moment and they are never taught about the emotional ramifications of their lifestyles. They are absolutely broken, you're right about that one.

I'm not here to proclaim myself as a youth minister, but I am saying that I believe in taking up for those who can't defend themselves. Perhaps it has to do with my last name, but I was raised to stick up for others and the way I hear young people being put down in churches is really getting under my skin. I am asking you to support them in the following ways:

1. Pray for them. Pray that God reveals Himself in a way that they cannot deny His existence. Pray for a hunger to be ignited in them to seek His face always and pray for direction in their lives.

2. Pray for youth ministers. The average youth minister only stays at a church for a few months and resigns. Pray for Divine creativity to flow through them to give them unique ways to minister. Pray for patience and understanding as they deal with young people and with parents.

3. Pray for the congregation. Pray that God will give you new compassion to see the truth about these kids. They are loud, but they a passionate. They are broken, but they are seeking. They are different, but they are sincere. My favorite thing about young people is that they seek truth and shun lies. Perhaps our main problem with them is that they call us out when we "play church". They want answers for why things are the way they are and we should encourage that. When they come to you with questions and you don't have answers, be honest. Tell them you don't know and seek a solution. Encourage their curiosity. They are seeking understanding and consider it an honor that they trust you enough to approach you. Learn their names, learn their faces, ask about their lives. It will make a difference.

4. Lastly, support them with your wallets. Churches will spend thousands of dollars to revamp sanctuaries but give the left overs to the children and youth departments. They are not the church of tomorrow, they are the church of today and to say we support them but not back it up financially is hypocrisy.

I know this was long and probably made me look bad at points but I feel God speaking to me very strongly about this. Get to know the young people in your life and in your church. I will guarantee you that if you spend time in prayer for them and speaking with them, your opinion will change. I am sure that it was only by God's move that my heart was changed and I know that yours will be too.

19 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts...as I see them from being a 66 yr. old teen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!I appreciate the young AND the young at heart!

      Delete
  2. Thank you once again, Lindsey for your personal transparency, candidancy, and genuineness. I totally agree with you. I am delighted to share with you that our Youth and young adults are loved, honored and respected. I love that fact that they are genuine and bold enough to ask questions. Live by example and question us older adults when things seem awry. Cones tee Church of God of Prophecy and its Youth are holding fund raisers to send our Youth to Shabbot! They thoroughly enjoyed this last year and we enjoyed them sharing their testimonies and their experiences.

    Again, thank you for sharing. What is really frightening is that these kids m
    ight be 'mirroring' behaviors learned from their parents. Which you covered most eloquently.


    Dr. Henry B. Lain
    Christian counselor
    Conestee CoGoP, SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. Praise God for churches, such as yours, that see the value in young people. Thank God for people who look for opportunities to uplift the young and come along side them. I especially love that your youth are building testimonies and sharing them! That is a rarity in most churches. I'm grateful for a church that encourages them to share their testimonies and be over comers instead of trying to silence them.

      Delete
  3. This was a great blog Lindsey and I know it was anointed. My heart was always to work with children, but I too have experienced a change in my life over the last two years moving me to minister with the youth. And God has given me a burden and a literal vision. Two girls appeared before me in a hotel room in Memphis that I believe with a vision from God letting me know I will be held responsible for doing my part to reach the youth harvest. Thank you for putting this burden into words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support. I am blessed to have parents who support the passion God has placed in me.

      Delete
  4. I know that I am biased when it comes to your posts...but, this is another great one. Transparent, honest and challenging. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hearing you say you are proud of me means a lot. I am very blessed, and would consider that a great honor whether you were my father or not.

      Delete
  5. January 14, 2012
    Lindsey, Thank you so much for publishing this, it is so "right on"
    I think my favorite part was about "youth raising parents", I know all to well about that one.
    Glad to say we have a wonderful group of youth and leaders at our church, I do think we should support them more than we do, especially, financially.
    God bless you in your continuing work for the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maxine. I join you in praising God for a great church that "gets it". Thank God for people who love others regardless of where they come from. This phenomenon of youth raising parents is a sad commentary of where we are, but a great opportunity for the church to step up and become the parents these young people don't have.

      Delete
  6. This is a great post. Super Great. As a mom with 2 teens, I wish someone would take the time for them. As a mom with a 16 year old who is a cutter, 99% of people run when they find this out. YES even in church. I am going to pray for your eyes to keep getting open, as well as pray for the people in my church for their eyes to be open.

    Keep it up, the Lord is using you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Your child is dealing with an issue that is becoming more common amongst young people (in church and out) and it is something we cannot ignore. As you know, cutting is a symptom of a bigger issue, and it is my prayer that more of us would take the time to PRAY and THEN try to minister to these kids. Too often, we run when we are faced with a new challenge instead of trying to get to the root of the issue. Please know that your child will be in my prayers from now on. I will pray that God will bring someone along to minister with love and compassion and see your child for who they are and not just the problems they have. Lord, open our eyes to what is right in front of us, and give us wisdom and compassion.

      Thank you again. It is messages like this that confirm that God is ministering through this blog.

      Delete
  7. Little Sis, another job well done! I'm sorry that I am just now catching up on your blog. This month has been challenging. I, however, will post this to my facebook page. Your thoughts are always motivating and challenging and you definitely encourage me to look and go deeper and to see beyond the eyes to the heart. I love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, again, for sharing on your fb. When God moved on my heart to write this blog I was away from my computer and felt like I couldn't get home fast enough to write the entry. God help us to always heed His voice and know that sometimes He calls us to people we would have never asked to work with. Lord, help us to love. Thank you for all your support! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As one of your ancient ( 78 years old) readers, I am Praying daily for the saving grace to reach my great- grandchildren many of which are in the age bracket you describe.( 18 total to be exact). In obedience to Jesus, I pray daily, for the Lord of the Harvest to send laborers into the harvest, with the special understanding and anointing to do the harvest work that needs to be done. You spoke of things of which I am somewhat aware but know that in all things God is able. Thank you. Ones in your generation have great opportunity and responsibility that ones in my generation find it hard to be active in, but at least we can pray.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking as the wife of a pastor in the church, I too Lindsey have at times seen youth arrogant, unruly (in the church) and unappreciative. As I become a more mature adult and in the ministry surrounded by all ages, I am drawn to these youth and children. They are the future and today is their future. If we want to keep the youth in our congregations we must treat them as individuals seeking God just as anyone else sitting in the service. We must also go out of our way to comfort and show mercy and God's love and yes this means giving to a special event specifically for the youth. We will reach this generation for Christ, simply by being Christ like and mentoring His ways to them. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Greeneville COGOP
    Mary Cope

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this... as I read it I can see that your heart has changed from where it was. I am glad too because you speak truths and you challenge others to do so. The youth need advocates to stand up and tell others that they are here and need examples. How can they learn if no one teaches them? But when they don't learn then adults want scorn them for not knowing. I feel that if you are not there to love them when they need it, then you can't correct them when they need it! Great words that I agree with every much!

    ReplyDelete