Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Resounding Gong

This has been the most intense week I have seen in social media for as far back as I can remember. For my international friends who may not be up on U.S. politics, this week our Supreme Court is hearing arguments for the legalization of gay marriage. I've never seen such battle lines drawn, and I was pretty shocked at the sides some of my friends were taking. It started with the red "marriage equality" symbol I saw showing up on the profile pictures of Facebook friends who are either gay or have been long time gay supporters. Then, I saw my staunchly conservative friends post red crosses as a response. Which I hoped was a symbol that the cross is the solution for every problem. I'd hoped that this picture meant we stand on the Word of God that says the act of homosexuality is a sin (Romans 1:26-27, I Cor. 6:9-10), but that above all we show the love of the Cross. In most cases, I was severely disappointed when I saw their follow up updates that showed absolutely no love. Language that mocked and even bullied gays and lesbians left me wondering why anyone in that situation would want to change and be a part of a religion that beats them into the ground.

Let me be absolutely clear on the matter, lest anyone leaves this blog believing I support gay marriage or gay relationships. The act of homosexuality is sin. Period. Sin for which one does not repent (meaning we ask forgiveness, and turn from our wicked ways, abandoning it completely) sends one to  a very real place called hell. I have heard it argued repeatedly that living this lifestyle is not sinful, because if someone is born with an attraction to the same sex then God put that desire in them, and why would God place a desire that seems so natural and then force men and women to deny it? The church answer for many years has been to just say "God didn't make you that way". I take a different approach. Psalm 51:5-7 tells us "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; You taught me wisdom in the secret place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." We are born into sin because we come into a fallen world. One's proclivity towards a sin, doesn't make it less sinful or okay to commit that sin. In the same way a man can be born with genetics that makes him more prone to alcoholism and it doesn't make it OK to follow that path, I believe a man or woman can be born with these attractions and not have to follow through with them. I believe the Lord still desires faithfulness to His Word, and can make one clean.

I share these feelings because I don't want to be mistaken. I believe homosexuality is a serious sin that God can take away, but our approach has to be addressed. When I saw the sometimes vicious words of my friends regarding this debate I was reminded of I Corinthians 13:1-3 "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." Basically, people don't care how much we know until they know how much we care. It's wonderful to know the scriptures to share, but until sinners know that we are sharing our knowledge because we love them so much that we can't fathom the idea of being in heaven without them, it is all worthless.

My favorite verse in all of scripture is Romans 5:8 which says "But God demonstrates His own love for  us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Regardless of the sin, there is forgiveness, healing, and wholeness in the name of Jesus. I have seen men and women steeped in this sin and watched the blood of Jesus undeniably change them. I have  not doubt that God can forgive homosexuals who repent, because I've seen it with my own eyes.

In other news, this is Holy Week. This is the week we are supposed to be celebrating the death and resurrection of our Lord. In a time we should be celebrating the greatest day for Christians, we are tearing each other apart. I'm asking that we take a moment and remember who and where we were before that blood cleansed us. Imagine where you would be if you had been told while you were in your sin that there was not only no hope for you, but that the people who allegedly had found hope and peace wanted nothing to do with you. Jesus, help us share the truth unashamedly, but always with Your love in our hearts and words.

2 comments: