Friday, September 20, 2013

Bella's Goats

Let me tell you about Bella, a little girl with a great big heart. Bella is the daughter of my friends, Jason and Saundra Owen. Saundra was once my cabin leader in Oklahoma church camps, and thus deserves a medal, but that's a different blog entirely. Bella turned 9 this week, and for her birthday she had asked for a unique gift: goats. You see, a while back Bella had heard of a church outreach that purchases goats for families in third-word countries. Why goats? Because as the Shepherd's Hill International website explains, "no animal provides more output and diverse material for such a low amount of overhead and space requirements as goats. Healthy female goats can produce two offspring each year. The goat provides milk, manure, and offspring—all of which have residual income sources. Goats are also easily upgraded with simple breeding programs.  A native goat can be purchased for a very modest price and can be bred with a higher grade of goat." You may say, "that's great, but how is it ministry?" When giving the goat, the organization is able to tell the recipient of the love of Jesus that moved on hearts to help them even though they have never met. They use the goats to open doors to start vacation bible schools and bible studies. A pretty awesome return for about $50!

Bella told her family and friends that she didn't want gifts for her birthday because she "didn't need anything else" and asked instead that they contribute to her "goat fund" and add to the $200 she had already collected in her Princess Jasmine and OU football piggy banks. Imagine Bella's heartbreak when, on the eve of her birthday, her house was burglarized! Her first concern was the goat money. She ran to her room to find it too was gone (watch Fox 23's interview with Bella here). Now, I'm having a hard time not thinking ill of the kind of people who steal from a child's piggy bank, but I'll just have to take that up in prayer.

This whole story brought to mind the passage in John 10 in which Jesus proclaims himself "the good shepherd". Verse 9 begins, " 'yes, I'm the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. Wherever they go, they will find green pastures. The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.'" (John 10:9-10 NLT) The thief (literally in this situation) stole from Bella and intended on killing her dream, but Christ has come to give life and I believe He will use my friends to do just that.

Bella and her family could have taken this chance to ask for donations for themselves, but they didn't-they are still consumed with goats! I'm asking those who can and will to join with me in purchasing goats in Bella's honor because:

1. There is still a real need. One of my favorite things about this story is that in the midst of personal tragedy, the Owen family still knows that no matter how bad things get for us here, we still have it better than most of the rest of the world.

2. I want to be part of showing Bella that while there are bad people in the world, there is goodness too!  I can only imagine how hard it is to sleep at night knowing these kind of people roam the streets, and I want to help her rest knowing not everyone is a "bad guy".

3. I want us to prove Genesis 50:20 to be as true for Bella's family as it was for Joseph, that "...God turned into good what you meant for evil. He brought me to the high position I have today so I could save the lives of many people."

Below I have provided information about the "Give a Goat" Program. If you elect to contribute directly to this fund, please mention "Bella Owen" in your contribution.

A second option for donations was created by our Mission Coordinator for the Churches of God of Prophecy in Tennessee, Michelle Brooks-Young. I tagged her in the news story when I first shared it on facebook and she went wild! She began inviting churches to help with this project, encouraging children's churches, Sunday school classes, and congregations to contribute. If you would like, you may send your offerings to the TN State Office at the address below, making sure to mark that it is for Bella's goats, and the office will assure that it is given in her honor to this ministry.

Thank you so much for your help in showing this little girl that God is in control!

COGOP
TN Office of Finance
% Londa Richardson
P O Box 1476
Cleveland, TN 37364-1476

http://www.shepherdshill.org

Give a Goat Press Kit

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lindsey!!!! I know your words are read by many and I know it is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I messaged Saundra this morning to make sure it was okay to share, I'm hoping my reader's hearts are as moved as mine was. I said this morning, "I'm getting that girl some goats even if it kills me!"

      Delete