Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Ohana

Disney's Lilo and Stitch tells the story of a young girl being raised in Hawaii by her older sister after their parents died. Throughout the movie we watch as Lilo's older sister struggles to know how to be both sister and provider for their family as she fights to keep them together. In times of worry or frustration, the girls pause to remember the Hawaiian word, "Ohana". The little girl explains, "'Ohana' means family; family means no one gets left behind, or forgotten."

My family watched this movie last week, so this idea of "Ohana" was fresh in my mind this week as my church moved to a new location. I write often of how the Church is meant to function as a family. We are to care for one another, to be there in the good and the bad. We share the joy over marriage, birth, and graduation, and we share the grief over divorce, death, and life disappointments. But this transition has reminded me that the Church is supposed to be a broader since of family-an Ohana type of family-one that doesn't leave anyone behind.

As youth pastor, this move is thrilling. A gorgeous sanctuary I can't wait to preach in and a gym that gives us lots of room for growth. A new, safe location with plenty of room for outdoor events. It's hard to imagine anyone would have difficulty packing up and moving on.

But then I remember my Ohana.

I didn't grow up in this particular church. Other than our son's dedication and first birthday party, I don't have many emotional attachments there. But my Ohana have been in that location for almost 40 years.

I see a sanctuary that is too small for growth...they see their child's wedding chapel.

I see a fellowship hall that suffocates us...they see their family reunion site.

I see a youth and children's area with no room to do activities...they see the place their children learned how to be angels in countless Christmas plays.

See, as easy as it is for me to see a brighter future, it's just as easy for them to feel like they've been forgotten. Like we have this new vision and they are being left behind.

But that's not what Ohana does...we don't leave each other and we definitely don't forget one another.

Yes, my mission is geared towards youth, but I would be a fool to think I didn't need those who came before us. Far too often, those of us who are "young harvest" minded allow the enemy to put a divide between our congregations. It's "us" against "them" and if the older people can't get on board the vision train, they can just get left at the station. How is that right? I would hate to think that in another 40 years I would be told my time was up and that my contributions were meaningless. The ironic part is that mine is a generation that wants to highlight being "relational", but we want to ignore this most beautiful concept of "ohana". A church that leaves people behind just because they can't see what we see is not relational at all.

Am I saying we should deny progress if a few protest? Of course not. Nor am I naive enough to think there aren't some people who are just down right obstinate and can't be reasoned with. But I am saying that a true leader knows how to pick the right battles and get enough people to buy into what really matters to move forward. A great leader doesn't have to be callous in order to accomplish their goals. A great leader does all things in love.

God help us to be sensitive to the feelings of our ohana and help those who struggle with change to not feel like they are left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment