Monday, August 19, 2013

What if God Used SWOT Analysis?

I had somewhat of a daydream a couple of days ago. I was standing before God and He was going over a review of my life. He discussed the things I had done and said in ministry and in my everyday life. Then, He began to run down a list of all the opportunities He had given me and asked if I thought I had taken full advantage of them. He told  me that He had placed me in a ministerial family for a purpose. He told me He had allowed me to have certain connections with the purpose of extending ministry. It was a sobering thought to think that He is watching to see what I do with the opportunities and abilities I have been given.

This daydream reminded me of a strategic planning tool my dad taught me growing up that I studied more in depth while pursuing a business degree. This tool is called "SWOT Analysis". SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. The first 2 are internal in a business and the second 2 are external. Although it was intended for use in the corporate world, it's great to use in your local church planning and even as individuals. It's all about taking an honest evaluation of what you have to work with, using your strengths and opportunities and reducing your weaknesses and threats.

When I started out in ministry, I did a SWOT of myself. I discovered my strengths and found opportunities to put them in action. I discovered my weaknesses and surrounded myself with people who were strong in these areas, hoping that as ministry partners we could form a symbiotic relationship. I identified threats and did all I could to avoid them. But as I envisioned this meeting with God I began to wonder "Am I doing all I can with what He gave me?" Long-time readers know I struggled with comments that I only had opportunities because of my heritage. But what if God gave me that heritage BECAUSE of the opportunities it would present? Would it be an acceptable answer to tell Him "I didn't exploit those chances because of what people might say"? I don't think so. Likewise, what strengths and opportunities has He placed in your life that you make excuses not to use? What weaknesses and threats have you allowed to invade your life or ministry?

So I ask you to use this analysis in your own life, ministry, and church. Ask yourself, "if I were standing before the Lord today, could I tell Him I used every strength He gave me, improved each weakness, utilized the opportunities He presented, and minimized the threats against His Kingdom?"


No comments:

Post a Comment